Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Safety Net

It has been a crazy week already and it's only Tuesday!  My weekend was jam packed with kids sporting activities, errands, workouts, food prep and chores.  The weeks ahead seem to only get busier and busier!  Summer has begun in my household and it will be non-stop until middle of July.  

I've been through this may times in previous years and know what to expect but it still freaks me out and I panic a little bit. I wonder how I am going to fit it all in.  Many things I enjoy will take a backseat as my kids' needs/activities will be a priority.  However, I still will make time for my workouts and my boyfriend.  It is a challenge and he is more than understanding about my busy life. He often ends up with the short end of the stick. Not a great spot to be in but he puts up with me, so to speak.

I've mentioned that your support system is an essential piece of making your fitness goals a reality, whatever they may be.  Without this support, taking time for exercise/training becomes an additional stresser for you rather than your exercise being a 'stress reliever'.  He understands, as my significant other, my coach, my trainer and my nutritionist how much my sport means to me. It helps that he is also an avid fitness enthusiast and weight lifter himself. He does not compete but understands the commitment and dedication required to stay on top of my game.  

He often gets to spend time with the 'tired and worn' out Rachel.  Again, not ideal but a sacrifice he has made to help me achieve my goals.  I have a rare gift in his complete support of me.  He is a gift that keeps on giving whether it is my training programs, words of inspiration, nutritional/supplement information, research he does to make my life easier, he takes care of the dogs to ease the burden on me and on and on and on. He plays an integral part of my support network in my fitness life. We are able to separate boyfriend and coach  in our relationship. It works.  But it works because of his tolerance and compromise. 

I have also had to 'train' my kids over the years.  They are supportive of my training and 'odd' food choices and they go with the flow.  This has not always been the case.  It took them a while to realize I still love and care about them even if I am not at every game or activity.   Once in awhile I have to get my own training in when life is just to busy to do it all.  I am not a super hero.  I am more than just a mom.  I am a person who has needs and wants just like them. As a result, my daughter has recently begun lifting weights to build her own strength to aid her in reaching her goals in high school sports.  

My co-workers and friends are also supportive of my sometimes 'freakish' eating, training and competitions.  They have even come to watch competitions and cheer me on.  They don't mock my food choices any longer (well maybe the boiled chicken during last week of prep) and help me when I have my chocolate addiction attacks while in competition prep.   But they understand how hard I train and how much it means to me. They do what they can to support me in achieving my goals. 

I am very fortunate to be surrounded by caring and loving people who accept me for who I am.  They accept that I have chosen to participate in an unique sport which requires an unusual amount of dedication and discipline that touch every aspect of my life, both at work and at home.  They support me.  This makes my life better. This makes my life a bit easier.  This makes me smile to know I have so many people in my corner that care enough to support me in my dreams!

Find your network, reach out and connect with them.  Find your path to your goals and make sure you have your safety net to catch you when you falter so you can get back up and try again.  No network, no net.  Without a path, you are easily detoured. Everyone needs support even if it's only once in awhile. 





No comments:

Post a Comment