Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Step Up to The Bar

I am a workout clothes addict.  The other day I was working out and realized I spend more money on my workout clothes, shoes, and gym equipment than my professional clothes. Why?

Because I spend a lot of time in the gym and I love to be comfortable when I'm sweating.  I've learned something as simple as a seam in the wrong place can distract me from my task at hand.  An itchy fabric, thick underarm seam, stiff tag on my neck, non-breathable fabric, tanks that ride up, pants that slide down, fabric that chafes or the dreaded camel toe can all wreck a great workout.

I know this sounds ridiculous to most but to those that train hard and often know exactly what I am talking about.  I am there to workout so the less irritation I have with my workout clothes, the more I can concentrate on my workout. Same goes for iPod, headphones, hair out of my face via baseball hat or headband. Wisps of hair in my mouth or eyes drive me insane!

Color is a completely different story.  I generally look like a rainbow threw up on me with a hint of camouflage thrown in for good measure just to make sure people know I'm serious and not just a Richard Simmons.  I am tired of black.  It's boring. It's drab.  Yes, black does hide a lot of 'flaws'  and 'embarrasing' sweat spots but I'm there to reduce those flaws. So if they are staring me in the face workout after workout then I have no choice but t work harder and fix them! Sometimes my bright clothes motivate me and even cheer me up.  After all, who doesn't like a rainbow? I wear my funky Vibram's (or glove shoes) which are becoming more popular but still are not very stylish but they serve a purpose.  They force me to use my core and legs for balance and strength.

I also have a system for what clothes I wear for particular workouts.  Again why? For example, leg day requires pants that are tight down to my ankle (or shorts) so I can get my knee braces over them.  I'm old and have brittle parts so I need to brace them properly. Certain tank tops are used for shoulder day and others for arm day depending on exercises performed and how the straps sit on my shoulder.  To me, it is no different than wearing a nude bra under a white blouse rather than a white bra under a white blouse.  It serves a purpose.

I also have a lot of my own equipment that I lug back and forth to the gym.  I have my own hanging ab straps, a manta ray squat brace, front squat harness, foam roller, yoga block, weight belt, weight sled, and weight plates, etc.  I don't like to wait to use these items when I need them.  But generally the gym doesn't have these items or they have been stolen or are just plain disgusting.  So I have invested in my own or even requested them as gifts.  Again strange to you but normal to me.  

Working out is one of my hobbies so why not buy the things that make it even more enjoyable? Plus the fabric is specially made to avoid absorbing the 'stinkiness' unlike cotton.  Additionally, if you have to look at your bulges, imperfections in the mirror while lifting, sometimes it pushes you a bit harder!  There are far more harmful addictions in my opinion so I will continue to invest in my health whether it be supplements, healthy food, gym equipment, clothing, shoes or even just one more baseball hat.

When I go clubbing, I go in my own style and when I belly up to the bar, it is very different than your bar. 



No comments:

Post a Comment