Saturday, July 20, 2013

Fit and Fabulous over 40


You're old, broken, and tired. You're too old to look good. Too old to build muscle.  Too old to be in better shape than in your 20's. You're right. Just sit there. Let someone else do it. Keep buying bigger sizes, stock up on the medication, have one more drink. It's not worth it anyways.  I mean who wants to feel great, look great and be the healthiest they have ever been?

That is so ridiculous.  I mean I lived my 20's, I'm not looking to relive those years.  Exactly!  But there is nothing wrong with feeling like you're 20 rather than 40 so when you're 80, you feel like you're 40 and when you are 97, like my grandmother, you feel like you're 80! Keeping your mind and body active is the key to a long healthy life.

I have living proof in my own family.  Kathleen Peterson (Kae), born November 23, 1915.  She lives on her own in a condo (not assisted living either). She exercises everyday at the YMCA because the Sister Kinney Institute exercises were "too wimpy" or she walks the skyway. She has a busier social life than me and my daughter combined. She has worn out three Apple Mac computers. She is writer. She knits. She uses email. She plays Words with Friends on her Kindle.  She is a well-known Scrabble player amongst her inner circle. She goes out on the town with her 98 years old friend, Carol. Kae is busy. She doesn't sit around. She is healthy, mobile, alive and enjoying life because she has kept her mind and body active.

Well, news flash, you're not too old, you're just too lazy. It is possible, it can be fun, and you can do it. Quit thinking about it so much. Believe it or not, there is a great deal of truth in Nike's saying "Just Do It!" But YOU are the one who has to actually do it.

Exercise is a natural drug which provides a great high.  Once you've experienced it, you realize you can live without it, but why would you want to? It's a great addiction and yields so many benefits.  Something is better than nothing. A 20-minute walk is better than a bag of chips while sitting on the couch watching a reality show.  Go out and LIVE your life and quit watching others live their life.

Just because you get older doesn't mean you have to fall into the 'molded' stereotypes of what a 40 something old mom should look like. You need set your own standards of what and how you want to look and feel about yourself.  Don't let society define who you are. Define yourself.  I've never met anyone who is happy to be over weight or on medication to manage health ailments and chronic pain. You need to start somewhere. A little something healthy is better than nothing.

Our numerical age is a number that tells our chronological age.  The physical well being of your mind and body reveals how old you really are. It's never too late to start.  Because if you never begin, how will you ever know what could have been?

I'm 42 years old.  My age has never bothered me.  I'm proud to say I'm 42. I like that people think I am my daughter's sister.  I like that I am healthier than I was in my 30's.  I like the choices I have made.  I'm enjoying my healthy lifestyle.  It's really not that difficult but it's a commitment I have made for myself. So are you ready to commit or have you already quit?










No comments:

Post a Comment